Support to Ukraine in approximation of the EU Environmental Acquis (Air Quality, Waste Management)
The project aims to enable the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine (MEPR), Ministry of Communities and Territories Development of Ukraine (MinRegion) and other relevant stakeholders (newly created State Environmental Protection Service), the Hydro-meteorological Centre of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine and civil society actors to prepare for the implementation of the EU environmental requirements, by strengthening legal and institutional system in order to improve the air quality and related issues as well as enforcement of the waste management in the country.
The overall objective of the project is to effectively raise Ukrainian public authorities' capacities in designing and implementing key reforms stemming from the Association Agreement and DCFTA, including the capacity to carry out legal approximation process with the EU.
The following results are expected at the end of the project:
• Environmental legislation listed under Annex XXX to the Chapter 6 (Air Quality, Waste management) is transposed in the Ukrainian legislation and is, as far as possible, enforced under the newly created State Environmental Protection Service (SEPS);
• All legal acts and sub-acts deriving from the National Waste Management Strategy are drafted, presented to Parliament and as far as possible adopted;
• Increased awareness within the Ukrainian government of the legal, institutional and technical actions needed to comply with the EU requirements in the air quality, waste management, industrial pollution areas;
• Strengthened public authorities and improved and transparent enforcement mechanisms for environmental legislation.
• Improved coordination and better communication between institutions in the field of environmental approximation.
• Progress in the implementation of Annex XXX requirements achieved. Support is provided in the development of the legal acts for implementation of the relevant Directives taking into account the requirements of the Regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and Law of Ukraine “On the Main Principles of the State Regulatory Policy in the field of Economic Activity”.
• Improved and increased participation of the public in environmental protection, in particular concerning the air quality, waste management.
• Two pilot projects (related to the implementation of the air quality, waste management directives) are conducted by the beneficiaries.